Tuesday 29 November 2011

Red Cabbage!

So as I talked about yesterday, in order to keep busy, I'm making red cabbage today. This recipe is an old one form a book called 'Complete Traditional Recipe Book' by Sarah Edington. Ever wanted to make an Elizabethan Salad of herbs and flowers? How about Saloman Grundy? This is the book for you! Anyway the red cabbage recipe here is the best I've ever made. It keeps for a couple of days and freezes really really well. It's a lovely winter side dish and I am addicted to it. So, while my fascinators are not keeping my hands busy, a big batch of red cabbage for the freezer will!

Braised Red Cabbage
900pr red cabbage
1 sliced medium onion
50gr butter
1 crisp eating apple
1 large cooking apple
150ml red wine (leftovers from Saturday night in my case!) or stock
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon wine vinegar
6 whole cloves
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1 tablespoon soft brown sugar
few grinds of freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon mied spice (optional  - I added this to the original recipe as I love mixed spice)

Serves about 6

Method:
Remove outer leaves of cabbage and white pith from leaves. Shred finely and rinse under water.
Soften the onion over medium heat in large heavy pan with butter (don't let onion go brown).
Peel core and slice the apples and add to onion with all ingredients apart from cabbage and sugar.
After about 2 minutes, add cabbage and stir to combine.
Cover pan, reduce heat and cook slowly for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
When cabbage has a little bite left in it, stir in sugar and a knob of butter (optional).

As I said, this will freeze and reheat really well. Very handy to have it done ahead of Christmas Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment