Wednesday 30 November 2011

Downton Abbey

Downton Abbey is over on BBC and my Sunday nights just aren't the same! I'm slowly working through the contents of my DVR as the TV has really gone downhill lately. But, through my designs, Downton Abbey continues.  Maggie Smith as Violet is just fantastic - sarcastic, snobbish, crusty but surprisingly good hearted underneath that crusty exterior. The clothes in the series are really lovely and evoke the period really well.




Feather trimed hats were high fashion then and taking that inspiration, I have created a beret with a pheasant feather trim. Upper class ladies trimmed their millinery with feathers from their own estates and while my estate in Limerick does not support it's own game, I have tried to echo this tradition in my own designs

Another tradition was to embellish with jewels. Following the tradition of Queen Mary to adorn every possible surface of one's self with jewels, fashionable Edwardians extended this display to their millinery. The hats below nod to this tradition...
This hat is embellished with a 1950's ice blue and silver diamante brooch which can be removed to use on your coat, scarf, pin to your hair....
All of these are available on my Etsy account

A 2 hour Downton Abbey Christmas special will be shown on Christmas Day at 9pm! Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment